Monday, January 3, 2011

Q: What is sentence figments?

A: They are sentences that do not exist in the book you are reading, or the movie you are watching, or the statement you are hearing, but exist solely in your own head. They are fake sentences. Not real.

When looked you up from The Scarlet Letter, with a look of befuddlement and asked, "Why doesn't Hester Prynne use her cloak of invisibility anymore?" that was a result of a sentence figment. Hester Prynne doesn't have a cloak of invisibility. You imagined it.

When you turned to me as we left a screening of The Dark Knight and said "I liked the part when Batman played space football," that was a sentence figment. At no point during that movie, nor any other Batman movie, nor any other movie, has Batman played space football. You imagined it.

When you looked at me, tears in your eyes, a smile on your face, your cheeks flush and your heart beating, and said "Yes! Yes! For the love of God, Yes! I will marry you," that was a sentence figment. I never asked you to marry me. I asked you to leave my apartment before I called the cops. We broke up two years ago. I date your sister now. I did not propose to you. You imagined it.

Seriously, stop looking for a ring. I think I have been pretty clear.

About Me

My photo
Ryan Callahan has written, produced, or directed shows for ABC, A&E, SHowtime, The CW, TVLand, Animal Planet and other networks even lower on your dial. When not making TV, or writing fake answers, he reads books, buys books, or buys books to read later. Follow WikiFakeAnswers on Twitter and Facebook