Thursday, January 6, 2011

Q: How do you write a film review?

A: Usually I jot down some notes right after the movie ends, my immediate thoughts and reactions. Then I go home and rough out a brief outline. I step away from the material for a while, take a walk and let all the information percolate in my brain. After maybe an hour or so of percolation, I return home, sit down at my desk, and write the review, as quickly as possible. I reread the review eight or ten times, making slight changes, tweaking sentences and making sure the review is as enjoyable and informative as possible. Then I send the review off to my editor and call it a night.

Now, that is my normal process. I usually review feature films. I have never written a review for a snuff film before. I may have to do things a little differently.

My immediate reaction?

You sure killed that guy. Yup, he looked terrified, too.

No, I don't need to see it again. I think I can start writing my review now. You'll have to untie me first. I use my arms to write.

Oh, look, you have a tape recorder. You really have thought of everything.

If only you had put this much thought into the writing and directing of your snuff film.

About Me

My photo
Ryan Callahan has written, produced, or directed shows for ABC, A&E, SHowtime, The CW, TVLand, Animal Planet and other networks even lower on your dial. When not making TV, or writing fake answers, he reads books, buys books, or buys books to read later. Follow WikiFakeAnswers on Twitter and Facebook